For quite some time, I had heard people talking about Greek yogurt. I have to admit, I did not really understand the hype. I saw that it was quite a but more expensive than the regular yogurt and did not have as many options. Sometime last year, I finally saw the light and looked at the only Greek yogurt that was at our local store. Looking at the label, I quickly realized the powerful punch that it contains.
As a family that is mostly vegetarian, thanks to the extreme cost of kosher meat, we are always looking for high protein food sources. When I finally looked at a container of Greek yogurt I was floored that most contain 12 or more grams of protein. A typical 6 ounce container of yogurt has about 6 grams of protein. To put that into perspective, here are what some other protein rich food give you:
- 4 ounce hamburger patty = 28 grams
- 3.5 ounce chicken breast = 30 grams
- 6 ounce can of tuna = 40 grams
- 1 cup milk = 8 grams
- 1/2 cup of most beans cooked = 7-10 grams
- 1 large egg = 6 grams
- 1/2 cup tofu = 20 grams
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter = 8 grams
My little guy is a VERY picky eater. He does not like most chicken, meat, or fish. He will tolerate yogurt, so this was a perfect way to get more protein into his diet. He loved Greek Yogurt, and so do I. When MyBlogSpark asked us to try the new Yoplait Greek Yogurt, we agreed. While shopping, I had seen it and was curious about how it compared to the brand we usually bought (Chobani).
More about Yoplait Greek Yogurt:
Each 6 ounce serving of Yoplait Greek Yogurt contains 12 grams of protein. Yoplait makes Strawberry, Blueberry, Honey Vanilla and Plain Greek Yogurt at this time. Complete nutritional information can be found here. The Yoplait Greek Yogurt has no fat, 15% vitamin A, 20% Vitamin D, and 30% Calcium (based on Daily Recommended Values).
Yoplait Greek Yogurt has a website with more information about each of the flavors. In addition to this, they also have a variety of recipe suggestions for using their product in. They include smoothies, dill yogurt dip, fresh apple streusel pecan cake and more. While there, be sure to print out a coupon to try some Yoplait Greek Yogurt for yourself.
What I thought:
As I said before, I am a big fan of Greek Yogurt. On a whole, I really like the thick nature of the yogurt and the much higher protein content. When I opened up a container of the Blueberry Yoplait Greek Yogurt, the first item I noticed was there was no need to mix it. Unlike the other brand that I have had, where fruit is on the bottom, this had blueberry throughout the yogurt and was immediately ready to eat. I really liked this, especially since I had two little boys eager for taste testing.
The boys really liked what they tasted and each asked for another spoon before running off to play. I like the thick custard-like consistancy of the Yoplait Greek Yogurt. It was really smooth and not gritty. Since the fruit was already mixed in, there was a nice blend of the yogurt and never spots without fruit. I also liked that it was not overly sweet since a lot of fruit yogurts can have that tendency.
I would definitely consider buying more of this yogurt for my family and only hope that more flavors are available soon.
Thanks to MyBlogSpark and Yoplait, one lucky reader will win a Yoplait Greek "Nourish Your Inner Goddess" gift pack like the one I received below. Two coupons for free Yoplait Greek Yogurt are included along with items to help you relax. Please note, the coupons for free cup of Yoplait Greek Yogurt are not valid in some states, including California, Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, and Tennessee.
Rules for Giveaway:
- MAIN RULE – Answer the following questions: Which flavor of Yoplait Greek yogurt would you like to try the most?
- 1 Bonus Entry – What is something that you do for yourself to help your inner Goddess come out?
- 1 Bonus Entry – Tweet about the giveaway on Twitter. Be sure to include @TheAngelForever and Nourish Your Inner Goddess Giveaway in the Tweet. Please leave a direct link to your Tweet in a separate comment for each daily entry. Example Tweet (feel free to use): Chance to win a Nourish Your Inner Goddess gift pack from @TheAngelForever http://bit.ly/cVr6ov
- 1 Bonus Entry – Subscribe to my RSS feed (or let me know if you already are) in a separate comment.
- 1 Bonus Entry – Leave a comment on any of my non-giveaway posts from the month of March/April. Be sure to leave a comment here to let me know which one. This Bonus entry may be done only twice per person.
- 1 Bonus Entry – Enter any of my other current giveaways (keep checking back – more being added all the time). Be sure to leave a comment here to let me know which one.
- 3 Bonus Entries – Add my blog button to your website and leave a link with the location. Be sure to give yourself 3 comments for credit.
- 5 Bonus Entries – Write a post on your blog linking to my blog about the giveaway. Be sure to leave 5 comments about this to get credit for all of your extra entries.
To enter, please follow the rules above within the comment section. Contest starts today April 26 and ends at 10:59 EST on May 10, 2010. You do not have to be a blogger to enter, but must leave a valid e-mail address for me to contact you for mailing address once the giveaway is over. I will select the winner using random.org and contact you via e-mail. You will have 48 hours to claim the prize. If there is no response, another winner will be selected. Open to U.S. residents only.
Disclosure: This review and giveaway was made possible by My Blog Spark and Yoplait. They provided me with the gift pack and coupon to purchase a package of Yoplait Kids yogurt. The opinions of this review were mine and I received no other compensation.