39 Week Update

*yawn* The heat and humidity here is killing me (sleep isn’t happening), plus I never thought I’d actually have to type out this 39 week update. I know all pregnancies are different, but after how big NHL was when he was born at 38 weeks, I didn’t think they would let me go to this point. HA! I was wrong and I’m ready to cry about it, especially with the prospect of a c-section looming.

On Monday I had called and talked to one of the OBs and she told me to tell the one I was going to see Thursday at my appointment that it was time to talk induction. Something she said to me made me realize that the doctor I was going to see yesterday was NOT the one I should be seeing, but the other one usually there that day was on vacation.

So yesterday I went in for my 2:15 appointment. No weight gain again (I was down a little last week) and I think I’ve only gained a total of 12-14 pounds – most of which is baby and other pregnancy related gain. My BP was fine in their eyes, but a tad high for me. A tiny trace of protein in my urine, which they attributed to the heat outside. Then I had to wait for over an hour to see the doctor since he had an emergency case come in.

He came in and I told him what the doctor had said on Monday to me. He said let’s see what’s going on and then talk. So he measured my belly. He exclaimed how large it was – DUH considering it’s ALL baby and I’m so short. I measured about 3 weeks ahead – which isn’t anything alarming for me since there’s the extra skin in my belly. When he checked the little guys heartbeat he said he was very happy in there. So without skipping a beat I asked him “Any ideas on how to make him unhappy?” My mother almost fell off the chair. The doctor said he wishes, if he did he’d be a VERY popular doctor! Then we talked about size and ultrasound need. Basically if he bases this baby’s size on what NHL likely would have been at 40 weeks we’d be talking an 8 1/2 pound baby. However, when looking at the ultrasound from about a month ago (he was about 6 1/2 pounds at that point) he said possibly 9 1/2 pounds. I flipped and told him I was freaked with those numbers since I have lousy birthing hips (very narrow) and am deathly afraid of being forced into a c-section based on the baby’s size.

Next it was time for the cervix check. The good news, my cervix is making slight progress. In the last week I dilated another 1/2 cm (*rolling eyes*), but the little booger is floating high and not the least engaged. Immediately he asked me if NHL had floated high as well. I’ll be honest I think he did until my water broke and then he engaged quickly. After getting home I have read that floating babies after 1st pregnancies is more common with people, that often they don’t engage until labor actually begins.

So it was now time to talk. He doesn’t want to do anything until after the weekend. Basically with the size of the baby he feels that trying an induction when he isn’t engaged wouldn’t be a good idea. He told me to make my next appointment for Monday and at that point he was definitely requesting another ultrasound to give them a better idea on what’s been going on the last 5 or so weeks since my last one. *sigh*

I’m still numb at this point and don’t even know what to do. I saw this coming on Monday with the conversation with the other OB. I think it’s complete BS not inducing me given not only the baby’s size, but the need to treat my leg infection properly. I know a lot of people that have been induced without babies being engaged, so long as their cervix is doing something it tends to work. *sigh*

So it’s a major waiting game here. My latest guess is that the baby is going to be a little snot and come on shabbat to complicate matters for the bris. On that note I am off to try to rest some with the fan right on me.

C’est Moi

Share on Facebok
Share on Twitter
Share on Pinterest
Share on Google+

  • kmelion says:

    Not sure if you know this, but if a baby boy is born via c-section on Shabbat, or 8 days before a holiday (if you were to have a c-section on Tuesday night, any time Wednesday or until sundown Thursday), the brit gets pushed off.

    In the case of Shabbat, it’s held on Sunday.

    In the case of Shavuot this year, it would be on Friday.