Three years ago today was the end of a horrid weekend in my life. Saturday the 16th my cockatoo Moose was suddenly very ill. For those that know birds, they typically don’t show signs of being sick until it is too late. My parents called to tell me Moose was lethargic, wouldn’t eat, drink, talk and was breathing oddly. I went over with JL and then 11 month old NHL. Moose looked so bad. My father put a heat lamp on him and we kept an eye on him. I left. A few hours later my parents called and told me to come over because Moose was not good. I left JL and NHL. We frantically called every vet in the area and nobody would see a cockatoo except one WAY up north. We got Moose into a blanket and took him to the car. My father barely started the car when I heard the most awful sound. Moose let out a strange gasp and died right then and there. I went into the house in hysterics and called JL. He came over immediately (even though shabbat was not over). He and dad buried Moose. Mom insisted on it before we could sleep.
My little feathered angel saved my baby NHL’s life. Things got horribly worse Sunday the 17th. Since I was a mess from losing my feathered baby we canceled our trip to meet JL’s family 2 1/2 hours south of here. We stayed home during the day. At about this time NHL got very HOT. He was playing on the floor with us. I just brushed up against his head. His temperature was already 102 and soaring. We got meds into him and put him in the tub. While JL gave NHL a cool tub I went to get a towel. When I came back into the bathroom NHL was there, but he wasn’t. He looked right through me. Then his eyes rolled back in his head and his body went limp. We pulled his wet body onto our bed and he started to seize and turn blue.
My worst nightmare was coming true. NHL was having a febrile seizure and was not breathing. Both JL and I had them as kids. I called 911 and told them what was happening. JL was screaming for our little boy to open his eyes. After what seemed like forever he started breathing. Minutes later 7 EMS and firemen were around our bed in our tiny bedroom. The best sound was NHL screaming, since it meant he was breathing again. After a ride to the hospital NHL was diagnosed with coxsakie virus.