It seems like the boys just finished up school and yet I am already focused on securing school supplies for the 2013-2014 academic year. When the boys left school on the last day, they already had their school supply lists tucked away with their report cards. While I could just push the lists to the side, I know right now is the time to find bargains on the items that we need at retailers. As a teacher, and now as a parent, I watch and wait for the items that we need and get them during our travels. Our collection officially started to grow on Independence Day weekend thanks to some nice sales at Target and Staples. Then, the other day, I stumbled upon some crayons on sale at Toys R Us. Since it is a tradition since NHL started school, I always share our lists and am curious what other people need to buy for their children.
This represents some items for both of the boys with a lot of additional items already in our house and some more that need to be bought. So what does our second full year of both boys in school look like for lists? Check out below to see what our classrooms are requiring this year. Past lists can be seen by clicking here.
1st Grade Supply List
- Two composition notebooks (black & white)
- A book bag or backpack
- Pencils (Ticonderoga are great)
- 1 large pink eraser
- 1 box of crayons (24 or less)
- Markers (10 count box)
- 2 boxes of tissues (to be shared with the class)
- 5 glue sticks
- A small plastic supply box
- Three folders with pockets on the bottom
- One container of baby wipes (to be shared with the class)
- One box of dry erase markers
- Paper towels
This list seems pretty standard in my mind. NHL’s list from grade one is here and was in another school and quite similar.
5th Grade Supply List
- One pack of 16 colored pencils <— Does anyone know what brand since we can not find these in any searches?
- Two packages of loose-leaf composition paper (wide ruled)
- Money for the School organizer/assignment book
- A pack of dry erase markers
- A good handheld sharpener
- 2 dozen #2 pencils
- A small paperback dictionary
- 1 roll of paper towels
- 2 large boxes of tissues
- 1 package of Hi-liters (4)
- 7 two-pocket folders: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Purple, White, Orange, and any color for music
- 1 package of black or blue pens
- 1 package of baby wipes
- 5 black composition notebooks <— Thank you no color coding with these this year!
- 1 package of 3×5 index cards
- Elmer’s or Scotch brand glue sticks
The list seems reasonable given what we have had in previous years. As noted, we can not find a 16 pack of colored pencils, white plastic folders do not exist (I do not buy the paper ones so they last with NHL), and I can’t believe my kiddo needs pens this year. *GULP* – reality is that NHL will be in middle school in a year.
So what items are on your school supply lists? Have you found any really great sales yet? Please share below. I really am a school supply geek, I think it’s the teacher in me.