I remember it like it was yesterday, December 31, 2008. The boys and I were snuggled onto the couch. We were looking at a photo album from our honeymoon at Disney World. The boys were fascinated because we told them we would all be going there in 2009. That day we had officially booked our first big family vacation. Yes, in a few short months the boys would be going on an airplane for the first time to experience the magic of Disney.
The year has gone by in a blur. It is hard to believe that 2009 is just hours away from being over. Here are some memories from a year in my life:
- JSL learned at 19 months old that snow is tricky to maneuver in. We captured this life lesson on video.
- Last year, I joined the anti-resolution craze. Did really well with this until things gradually slipped back and H1N1 killed it all.
- Going back on Weight Watchers, I was obsessed with my Nalgene water bottle. I was constantly drinking that and living my life in points (heading back on this as well).
- Then 5 year old NHL showed me that Word Families can be rather fun thanks to the "-it" clan. My angel was growing up too quickly.
- Disney planning happened early one morning when I called in to make our dining reservations. This was huge and important for our trip that now included Nana and Papa.
- We continued to battle for control over NHL’s allergies and breathing troubles.
- A year passed from JSL’s first febrile seizure. A false sense of security from a year with no additional issues as I recalled the events from 2008.
- We went to Sesame Street Live. This was the first time for JSL and Cousin S, NHL was a pro and showed them what to do.
- Reality hit and I learned that simply doing Weight Watchers was not enough. I had to move it, move it and Leslie Sansone became my friend. Time to dust those off again for 2010.
- We said goodbye to TechyDad’s long time car and bought a new one in the snow.
- Everyone dressed up for Purim and went to the parade for some fun and games.
- A weekend away for a family party = fun at a hotel pool. It was also the weekend that we questioned where the adult-parent line is in certain situations.
- 13 months had come and gone and nightmares returned as JSL had 2 febrile seizures in 30 hours.
- With 4 years of physical therapy behind him (to improve low muscle tone), NHL learned to ride a bike. This was a HUGE milestone and he was so proud, so were we.
- For the first time in my life, I actually liked exercising and sweating. I walked and kicked with Leslie Sansone for miles each day. Leslie and I are going to be good buddies next week, asthma permitting.
- Lots of preparations went into Passover and the Seders were fun. This year, NHL really got into it thanks to Hebrew School.
- An early morning phone call on Shabbat from TechyDad’s parents proved to be bad news. Grandma had passed away. She was a beautiful woman who is missed greatly.
- Flowers were planted for Earth Day. They were gorgeous while they lasted. Sad to say, the neighborhood bunny dug up the bulbs and they will not be coming back this year.
- Just in time for the trip to Disney World, I bought a pedometer. I tried daily to get in my 10,000+ steps. Need to get this puppy back out for the new year.
- Lots of packing, errands and last minute items were bought for Disney World. This included a shopping trip to buy everyone a new pair of shoes for sunny Florida. I lived in my Teva while we were there and all summer long.
- A week away from the computer meant scheduling posts for my blog. Right before we left a prize arrived with Mickey Ears. Check us out!
- While at Disney, the little guy turned 2. Here is a look back at two years in his life.
- Before we could blink, our week at Disney World was over. I wrote about a lot of the trip, but hate to admit I never finished. Our trip there, Chef Mickey in photos, Mother’s Day at Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom & Boma, and Day at the Magic Kingdom.
- This month also brought us EA Sports Active. Loved this, but my knee did not. An old injury came back to life thanks to a million lunges, squats and the like.
- Memories from my childhood visits to Disney World and a Figment bribe from my father.
- We all celebrated a big birthday for my mother. Thanks to Aunt L, we had a nice party for her with family all there.
- After the allergic reaction at Disney to walnuts, I went to the doctor and got my blood test results. New inhaler to help asthma and lots of vitamins were added to my routine. . . need to go back to those again too.
- Shooting at the National Holocaust Museum brought back memories of living in fear of hatred that I have had as a Jewish American.
- The end of Kindergarten for NHL was filled with fun events. There was Field Day, Cake Balls for the last day with the horse rides, and kindergarten graduation. NHL went into kindergarten with the goal to read and came out with that and so much more!
- TechyDad and I celebrated our 8th Anniversary. Here’s a look back at our wedding.
- NHL learned to play tennis at a local tennis program. He had a lot of fun, and we hope to do it again in 2010.
- I learned what was causing my intense stomach pains for weeks – SOY! Our almost vegetarian lifestyle was turned upside down.
- A long weekend trip to visit Uncle I, Aunt M and Cousin S meant a stop to see the Berenstain Bears at the museum. The kids loved entering their world.
- Thanks to season passes, we had a lot of time at Six Flags/Wiggles World. NHL conquered his fear of characters, we drove in Big Red Cars, and followed the M&M Road.
- A BIG event also came to our area. We were lucky enough to take the boys to see Walking with Dinosaurs. It was amazing on so many levels.
- NHL learned to swallow pills! Nice to be able to give him a little pill than tons of liquid or chewables.
- When the rain stopped long enough, we went to the park. JSL liked going on the swings with Daddy. Here they are having a blast.
- In an attempt to relive the yummy memories from Disney, we tried our first stab at the Pop Century Tie-Dyed Cheesecake. This was in time for TechyDad’s birthday celebration .
- I also got my first pair of Crocs, some wedges that were really fun. Since then I have added 3 more pairs, including some boots.
- NHL went to camp for the first time. He had a blast during the week long Dinosaur camp.
- In the middle of the month, my first born turned 6. NHL was growing up before my eyes, so I showcased the past year for him.
- The summer was filled with Wiggle Tooth woes. It actually required the Tooth Fairy to write NHL a note to encourage him to keep wiggling.
- My knitting took on a new adventure as I tried circular needles for the first time. A baby blanket for my new nephew due in February 2010 is in the works.
- My best friend that I went to kindergarten with had her baby shower. It was so nice being a part of this special day for her.
- A night away from the boys was a special treat as I went with my parents to see Cirque du Soleil while it was in town.
- NHL got ready to begin first grade. A new adventure was waiting for him as he went back to school.
- A beetle invasion in our house led to the discovery of termites in the basement below. A quick plan of action and lots of money invested led to at least the termites being taken care of.
- We celebrated the Jewish New Year with family eating lots of yummy food of course.
- A weekend away to celebrate my sweet niece’s 2nd birthday also included craft time with MY little brother.
- NHL was off to a great year in first grade. He was reading a ton, getting perfect scores on spelling tests. Of course, a little fun and excitement at pick up happened one day when JSL landed head first on the concrete at school. Yet another ER visit for our family.
- We took the boys to a pre-season hockey game. We had a blast and the little guy loved the zamboni the most.
- After the hockey game, I started to feel lousy. Being a Mom, I ignored the symptoms until it was too late. A week later, a visit to the doctor confirmed that it was likely H1N1 (thank you ER visit). We left with my asthma being treated and a script for Tamiflu for the little guy just in case.
- A 2:00 in the morning call to Nana and Papa required the Tamiflu being filled. H1N1 attacked JSL fast and furious.
- While taking NHL to get his 6 year old portraits, we learned there is a great conspiracy involved.
- TechyDad and I entered the wonderful world of texting. We dropped our cable phones, added texting and have never looked back.
- Between sicknesses, we managed to get out to pick 35 pounds of apples. We had a blast with the boys out in the orchard.
- During Halloween week, NHL was one of the 30% of kids out from his school with the flu. That same week, JSL had febrile seizure #4 while I was home alone with both of the boys. We still do not know what caused this one.
- By Halloween, NHL was feeling well enough to head out to trick-or-treat at a few houses. Check out his costume here.
- Both of the boys are Wiggles Fans. We bought tickets over the summer to take JSL to his first Wiggles concert. He had a blast and could not believe what he was seeing.
- There were several absolutely gorgeous days in November. The little guy and I took advantage of this and went to the park for some fun while NHL was at school.
- LEGOs came alive in our house with a fun discovery. Lots of imagination and building have followed.
- NHL has been learning Hebrew each Sunday at Hebrew School. He even made items to use at home for Shabbat.
- Twas the day before Turkey Day and we went to visit the 1st graders. . . later that night we went to a fun filled hockey game.
- My birthday arrived this month. I finally picked out something from my parents from last year and this year. I now have a gorgeous Pandora bracelet that has so much meaning behind it. Oh course having a December B-day often means snow ruins plans. This year the snow, illness and a trip for NHL to the ER got in the way. TechyDad also got me a premium Picnik membership, so lot of photo fun has taken place over the last few weeks.
- Chanukah arrived and there was so much going on. Here are each of the boys enjoying the special time of year.
- A gingerbread house building party closed out 2009 in the first grade. The kids had a fabulous time. I was so glad to be home and able to watch this.
Of course, these are just some of the major events that took place here in my world. Thanks to my blog, I have many other moments captured for our family. 2009 has had it’s share of good and bad moments. Even with all of the ER visits, scares and things I would not change the year gone by. If we did, who knows if we would have had our magical memories at Disney World and other fun family moments.
Thank you to my family, friends (both IRL and online) who have supported me this year. Another thank you to the wonderful PR people and companies that I have worked with this year. Eveyone’s interest has been crucial to helping TheAngelForever.com to be a success. I look forward to 2010 and beyond with all of you.
Happy New Year to all of you and your families.